Come work on the beautiful Lower Sunshine Coast as a Constituency Assistant for Nicholas Simons, MLA for Powell River-Sunshine Coast. This position is located in Davis Bay, about 18 KMs from Gibsons, and 4.5KMs from Sechelt.
A Constituency Assistant is a confidential employee responsible for the administration of the Constituency Office of a Member of the Legislative Assembly.
**Please Note: This position requires the successful candidate to live and/or relocate to the Lower Sunshine Coast as the constituency office is located in Davis Bay (between Sechelt and Gibsons). Commuting from Vancouver would be difficult as our riding is ferry dependent.
Under the general supervision of the MLA, duties may include:
- Providing assistance and advocacy for constituents in their dealings with the provincial government, either directly or through appropriate referrals.
- Supporting the MLA’s work within their communities through community outreach and liaison.
- Providing information to constituents about provincial government legislation and policies, including the MLA and government’s position on provincial issues.
- Preparing communications materials, including advertising, householders, and mailings by the MLA, newsletters, websites and social media accounts.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the Constituency Office, including correspondence, bookkeeping, information management and other office duties, as required.
- Recruiting, training and supervising Constituency Office volunteers and practicum students, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Nicholas Simons, MLA is committed to recruiting and developing employees that are representative of the diversity of the people of British Columbia.
To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with diverse abilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the Powell River – Sunshine Coast Constituency Office.
- Knowledge of the structure and policies of the New Democratic Party and a fundamental knowledge of the role of the three levels of government.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to write clearly, concisely and professionally for a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective information and advocacy strategies and to exercise diplomacy and political judgement.
- Ability to administer the various aspects of a community office. Specific skills in computers, word processing, bookkeeping and clerical functions, as well as graphics, social media and web-based functions would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with flexibility.
- Ability to interpret and explain complex policies and legislation, to adapt and learn new processes and applications, and to show initiative and ingenuity when confronted with problems or unique situations.
- Familiarity with the constituency of Powell River-Sunshine Coast, its communities, demographics, and key issues.
- Ability to travel and work on weekends and holidays as required.
- Ability to work alone and independently. Our riding has two offices separated by a ferry. Thus, there is one Constituency Assistant in each office.
- Specific knowledge of significant cultures and languages within the constituency would be an asset.
- Benefits as per the collective agreement.
- This is a bargaining unit position: BCGEU Local 7012
- Any qualified internal candidates will be considered and interviewed prior to the consideration of any external candidates.
- Application deadline is 4:00pm on Sunday, July 10, 2022.