A Constituency Assistant is a confidential employee responsible for the administration of the Constituency Office of a Member of the Legislative Assembly. This position will support the Victoria-Beacon Hill Constituency MLA in providing a range of communications and community outreach and support services.
Under the general supervision of the MLA, duties may include:
- Preparing and distributing communications materials, including advertising, householders, and mailings by the MLA, newsletters, websites and social media accounts.
- Supporting the MLA’s work within their communities through community outreach and liaison.
- Providing information to constituents about provincial government legislation and policies, including the MLA and government’s position on provincial issues.
- Providing assistance and advocacy for constituents in their dealings with the provincial government, either directly or through appropriate referrals.
- Assisting as needed in managing the day-to-day operations of the Constituency Office, including correspondence, bookkeeping, information management and other office duties, as required.
- Recruiting and training Constituency Office volunteers and practicum students, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Grace Lore, MLA is committed to recruiting and developing employees that are representative of the diversity of the people of British Columbia.
To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the Victoria-Beacon Hill constituency office.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to write clearly, concisely and professionally for a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective information and advocacy strategies and to exercise diplomacy and political judgement.
- Excellent technical skills in communications and graphic design and experience and skills in working with a range of social media channels and digital communications is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with flexibility.
- Ability to interpret and explain complex policies and legislation, to adapt and learn new processes and applications, and to show initiative and ingenuity when confronted with problems or unique situations.
- Knowledge of the structure and policies of the New Democratic Party and a fundamental knowledge of the role of the three levels of government.
- Familiarity with the constituency of Victoria-Beacon Hill, its communities, demographics, and key issues.
- Ability to travel and work on weekends and holidays as required.
- Benefits as per the collective agreement, pro-rated for part-time employees, including extended health and dental plan, BC Public Service Pension Plan, generous paid vacation, paid sick leave, and other paid leave provisions and benefits.
- This is a bargaining unit position: BCGEU Local 701.
- Regular hours are 17.5 hours per week.
- External posting closes at 4:00pm, Friday, April 2, 2021. Any qualified internal candidates will be considered and interviewed prior to the consideration of any external candidates.