Under the general supervision of the Operations Director, The Administrative Assistant is responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations of the Victoria Caucus offices, including:
- Maintain Caucus reception area and other Caucus public-facing areas.
- Answer routine inquiries from MLAs, Caucus and constituency office staff, media, constituents, and the general public.
- Review and transfer telephone inquiries, and take and deliver telephone messages.
- Receive visitors; refer visitors and MLAs to appropriate offices and personnel.
- Monitor and organize NDP Caucus general email inbox and reply to or refer email inquiries.
- Receive deliveries; open, date, sort, direct and deliver incoming mail.
- Arrange for outgoing mail and courier services.
Office Services, Supplies and Equipment
- Monitor supplies and ensure that stationery and office equipment supplies are available and well organized.
- Maintain and update inventory lists.
- Monitor kitchen and coffee supplies and top up as required.
- Order supplies and equipment; arrange for routine office services and maintenance requests.
- Receive invoices and review for accuracy.
- Assist with watering and maintenance of office plants.
Caucus Meeting Rooms
- Ensure that Caucus boardroom (Pine Room) & Government Caucus meeting room are maintained.
- Schedule Caucus meeting rooms and conference phone lines, and assist meeting organizers with information and support as required.
- Set up meeting rooms as directed.
- Maintain and update Caucus contact lists and administrative records.
- Assist with updating and maintaining Maximizer contact database.
- Assist Caucus staff and MLAs in preparing, sending, and monitoring correspondence.
- Perform photocopier “key operator” functions, including photocopying, distributing and posting internal documents, monitoring photocopier performance and paper trays, helping staff and MLAs to operate equipment, and arranging for service and supplies.
- Assist in preparing, copying, assembling, posting, and facilitating the circulation of operational information.
- Carry out additional tasks and projects as assigned.
The New Democrat BC Government Caucus is committed to recruiting and developing employees that are representative of the diversity of the people of British Columbia.
To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with diversabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the Government Caucus.
- Superb interpersonal skills, including working with the public, elected officials, senior staff and stakeholders.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to type at least 30 words per minute.
- Excellent organizational skills, as well as the ability to follow directions with speed, thoroughness and accuracy.
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office and Teams.
- A self-starter attitude, and ability to exercise initiative, work independently and with flexibility.
- Strong work ethic, and ability to meet high quality work standards.
- Willingness to receive feedback, as well as ability to use feedback to improve and develop.
- Knowledge of the structure and policies of both the New Democrat Caucus and New Democrat provincial government.
- Clerical, secretarial, or office experience is an asset.
- Fluency in other languages is an asset.
- Benefits as per the collective agreement.
- This is a bargaining unit position: BCGEU Local 701.
- Regular hours are 35 hours per week, 8:30am to 4:30pm Monday to Friday.
- Application deadline is 4:30pm on Wednesday, October 13th.